This is a beautiful recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Keto Bagels by The Herbivore Post, adapted to make buns and with added spices.
I cannot tell you how amazing these little buns are! In fact, the day I tested them out, an aunt and uncle popped by unannounced, and they were astounded at the ingredients, and at how it smelled and looked like actual bread! They’re not Keto but they tried it and quite liked it as well – Score!
The original recipe for bagels can be found on The Herbivore Post website, however I tweaked it to make buns and added paprika, cayenne pepper and Himalayan salt to the mixture as well. And a few pumpkin and sunflower seeds on top.
This is going to become a staple I feel!
For the Tahini
- 3/4-1 cup sesame seeds
- Optional: 1-3 tbsp olive oil (or any neutral oil)
For the buns
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup psyllium husk powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Spices to taste: I used Paprika and Cayenne Pepper (approximately 1tsp each)
- Optional: Seeds e.g. pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, chia.
- 1/2 cup Tahini
- 1 cup water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190C (375F) and prepare a baking tray with greaseproof paper. I added some extra coconut butter to the paper.
2. Measure out 3/4-1 cup Sesame Seeds for your Tahini (ignore the measurement in the picture!!!). This will give you more than the required 1/2 cup of Tahini required for the recipe, and you can have some extra to create delicious keto salad dressings!
3. Dry toast the sesame seeds in a pan to release the oils. Keep stirring as they burn easily, once they get a bit of colour and you get a toasty smell, take them off the heat and cool.
4. Blend the cooled sesame seeds in a grinder or food processor. Once it gets towards the end, add the oil (1-3 tbsp) to get the smooth consistency if required.
5. Take 1/2 cup of the Tahini and add 1 cup of water: Mix well. (If there’s oil in Tahini it might separate and that’s fine).
6. Take a large bowl and add the dry ingredients: Flax, almond meal, psyllium husk powder, baking powder, and salt.
7. Mix the wet ingredients (Tahini and water mixture) to the dry ingredients in step 6.
8. Add any spices if you like. As mentioned I added paprika and cayenne pepper. And mix well.
9. The dough will quickly come together and you will get a dough ball that looks like this:
10. Cut the dought into 4 pieces.
11. Roll the dough between your hands into bun shaped balls and decorate the top if you like with seeds of choice. I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
12. Bake for 45 minutes at 190C (375F) and wash up while you wait! You will get these at the end!
13. This is what the insides look like.
14. And this is how I ate mine!!!
(The macros I calculated per serving are slightly different to that in herbivorepost but they’re great)!
- Energy: 254.7 kcal
- Net Carbs: 3.2g
- Fat: 23.7g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Magnesium: 96mg
- Zinc: 2.1mg
- Calcium: 123mg
One thought on “Tahini Buns (Gluten-Free|Vegan|Low-Carb)”
Comments are closed.